Colfax County New Mexico
The long adobe house with wide wooden posts and railing on the veranda can only be seen from NM 21. Begun in 1850, it originally had a flat roof and includes remnants of the Maxwell house. The house is part of the Rayado Ranch which is on the National Historic Register and the State Register of Cultural Properties.
Rayado was settled in 1848 by Lucien Maxwell and famed mountain man, Kit Carson. Maxwell inherited the Beaubien-Miranda Grant, the largest land grant in America. In the late 1850's he moved to Cimarron and the house in Rayado became the possession of Jesus Abreu. The village functioned as a resting place, trading area and stage stop along the Mountain Route of the SFT. Trail ruts NE & S of Rayado. No tours available.