Clifton House (Ruins)
Colfax County New Mexico
Part of one adobe wall and scattered foundation stones along the west bank of the cottonwood-shaded Canadian River are all that remain of this three-story, balconied Barlow & Sanderson Stage Line stop that is on private ranch land, adjacent to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad tracks. Built by rancher Tom Stockton in 1867, also known as Red River Station and Red River Hotel, this stagecoach stop, famous for its food and lodging, was a highlight for travelers on the Mountain Route of the Santa Fe Trail. It was also a roundup point for post-Civil War cattle drives.
Call Nancy Robertson (575-445-8226) for an appointment to view the property.