Colfax County New Mexico
Deeply eroded Santa Fe Trail ruts sweep into Rayado from the NE joining NM 21. Continue south out of Rayado on NM 21. Just outside of town, the highway makes a sharp curve to the left. Look S or N, and you can see the ruts from the Mountain Route. The ranch consists of a chapel (1902), the Kit Carson Museum, and the Maxwell-Abreu Home and outlying buildings (1848). In 1929 the ranch was purchased by Tulsa oilman Waite Phillips, who donated it to the Boy Scouts of America in 1941. Interpreters in period costume recreate life in the 1850s at the historic ranch. Activities include farming, animals, blacksmithing and trading, and are conducted in recreated buildings during the summer months. Call for details.
Certified Site of the Santa Fe National Historic Trail. Rayado was the first permanent colony east of the Sangre de Cristos, settled by Lucien Maxwell and Kit Carson in 1848. The settlement was used as a resting place and trading area along the Mountain Route of the SFT and was a military post from 1850-1851. The road to Rayado was built in the ruts of the Old Santa Fe Trail. Rayado is available for external viewing.
- View the Google Map for this site (lat-long decimal degrees, NAD27) Philmont Scout Ranch/Rayado
- Philmont Scout Ranch
- Cimarron, NM 87714
- Phone: (575)376-2281
- Fax: (575)376-2281