Santa Fe, New Mexico
One-story adobe hacienda flanked by the white-picket-fenced Bandelier Garden. The garden reportedly was named after Adolph Bandelier, a Swiss-born archeologist and writer who lived in Santa Fe and had explored what later became Bandelier National Monument. The peony bushes imported from China over 100 years ago are still flourishing. Contains small, private apartments and the headquarters of the Old Santa Fe Foundation. The photograph is of the Bandelier Garden with El Zaguan in the background.
This old hacienda was purchased in 1849 for James L. Johnson, prominent Santa Fe merchant. The gardens around the house were planted in the late 1800's and were replanted in the early 1900's to give it the appearance of a turn of the century garden. Behind El Zaguan was once a corral where freighters on the Old Santa Fe Trail kept their oxen, horses and mules while in town. In 1875, Santa Fe merchant Johnson's house was called by the local newspaper "one of the finest villas on the edge of the city." El Zaguan is an historic Santa Fe Foundation property. To read more visit http://www.historicsantafe.com/popzaguan.html