Santa Fe County New Mexico
The remains of Fort Marcy on the hill above Santa Fe consist of mounds of earth several feet high tracing the outline of the adobe fortification. There is now an apartment complex NW of the remaining mounds. Photo shows the earthen mounds of Fort Marcy, atop Fort Marcy Hill.
This Certified Site of the Santa Fe National Historic Trail is located in the Santa Fe Historic District. The earthen fort was large enough to accommodate 1,000 soldiers. It was never completed and was abandoned in 1868. Fort Marcy symbolizes the Americn conquest. Situated on a hill above town, it was built by the US Army under Gen. Stephen W. Kearny in 1846 to protect the American presence in Santa Fe. It was the 1st military post in what later became the Mexican cession.